Wednesday, December 23, 2020

DROP USER ‘database_user@’localhost

OK”, I thought, “I’ll just restore it from the backup! I have a backup! this is good! It’s the original instance that I built, this is the exact one I had documented … easy, easy.” So off I go, grab the database, open up my password manager, copy the DBUser password, run my restore command….

Now my LIVE instance has the SAME problem as the new one! I wanted to puke. WHY WHY WHY? My brain is yelling, “It’s the SAME instance, what changed?? WHY is it complaining about the password?? It’s RIGHT!! It’s in the password manager, it’s RIGHT THERE!” It was a very intense conversation in my basement office at home; thankfully my elderly mother, who lives upstairs in my house, is a heavy sleeper.

Then it hit me….

I went to our secure file share archive for the password manger and downloaded the copy that was made at the time that I originally set up that instance.

F%$#!? The original password for that DBUser was about 6 characters longer than the one that was documented in the most recent version of that password manager. At some point, that password may have been accessed and accidentally truncated and the change had been propagating forward for months. It WAS wrong.

More Info: comptia certification jobs

No comments:

Post a Comment